A few notes:
- You hired a graphic designer for a reason. Obviously you realize the value of using a graphic designer to create your logo, brochure, website, etc. Being picky and trying to design everything yourself defeats the purpose of our job and results in a poorly designed finished product. You wouldn’t tell your Mechanic or Doctor how to do their job would you? We went to school for this, this is our job, we know what we are doing, and we will do our best to steer you in the right direction and offer our professional opinions, but if you choose not to listen to us it will reflect in your final piece.
- We do not work for free. No one works for free. Time is money. Design, revisions, and going back and forth with you takes time. If you can get it done cheaper or for free from a friend, relative, neighbor, outsourcing to wherever, that’s fine. Please go there instead of wasting our time to get “the very best design” for nothing. But, remember that you get what you pay for. If you want it cheap it will look cheap.
- Design takes time. Even though we have a computer and know the programs and what we are doing, it is not as easy as “just clicking a button.” If it was you would be doing it yourself. So, if you ask us to provide you with multiple options and color choices and revisions and…it will be reflected in your final invoice.
- Always make timely payments. You hired us, we did the work, provided you with your final product, now we need to get paid. Most invoices allow for a 30 day window. We do not want to have to track you down for payments. It’s annoying and unprofessional of you to make us do so. If you decide not to pay us at all, we will not be providing you with any final designs, printed materials, launched website, etc. And we will not be working with you again in the future if this happens.
- We have contracts for a reason. It protects us for the worse case scenarios. If you do not want to sign a contract, don’t be surprised if we do not want to work with you. We encourage you to read contracts thoroughly, ask questions, and suggest revisions if you find something you’d like to negotiate. We spend time putting them together in order to have a smooth working relationship with you. And we do want to work with you.
- We love our clients. You help us pay our bills, give us work, and allow us to make a living doing what we love. All we ask in return is for you to respect us as we respect you.
Learn more about how to be a good client to your graphic designer:
- 100 mistakes clients make
- Working with your graphic designer
- 20 horrible habits of clients
- 6 common statements
- Clients from hell